Thursday, July 23, 2015

Caramelized Onion Jam

Caramelized Onion Jam

Oh, let me tell you...this is some kind of wonderful, yes it is! Sing it with me!!! I can totally eat this whole bowl of onion jam ALL by myself! Did I say I CAN...I meant I HAVE eaten it all by myself!  It's kind of a small bowl. ..well, not really, but that's what I always tell myself. Everyone that I've served this to has loved it just as much as I do!

This is so sweet and the onions have been cooked down so much that they melt in your mouth! The thyme and the rum just go so well with the sweet onions! I just eat the jam with crackers, but you can also serve this on top of steaks, burgers, hot dogs or wrapped inside puff pastry dough. Or serve with a cheese platter.There are so many ways to enjoy onion jam!

This recipe was posted on a cooking site by a cook known as JimRug. So JimRug is the reason I'm hooked on this stuff!


Caramelized Onion Jam
Caramelized Onion Jam

INGREDIENTS:
1 Tbls. butter
1 Tbls. corn oil
2 lbs. sweet onions (about 2 very large white or yellow onions) chopped
1 tsp. light brown sugar
1 Tbls. rum of your choice
1 Tbls. water
1 tsp. fresh thyme - minced
1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Heat 12 inch skillet on medium. Add oil and butter. Stir in onion and sugar. Season with salt & pepper. Cover and cook approximately 10 minutes stirring occasionally. If you are doubling this recipe, then also double ALL the cooking times.           
 
Remove lid and increase heat to med/high. Cook until onions are dark brown and quite soft. Approximately 10- 15 minutes.
 
Remove from heat, stir in water. Transfer to a food processor. Add rum, vinegar and thyme. Pulse to a jam like consistency. Serve warm or room temperature.
 Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
 
                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always welcome, so please leave one...Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...