Thursday, March 7, 2013

Ham and Bean Stew

Ham and Bean Stew
I recently met a very talented food blogger with a real knack for taking amazing food photos! She's not a professional photographer but you would never know it by looking and her pictures! Her name is Judith Hannemann. Her food blog is called The Midnight Baker.

That's where I found this next recipe. This one stood out to me because I love smokey bean soups! But I never saw such an easy one with so few ingredients! So this is one I just had to try!

Judith Hannemann called this recipe Northeast Hearty Bean Soup. I renamed it Ham And Bean Stew because it truly reminds me of a stew. The carrots, onions, celery and beans, all cook down to create such a nice thick gravy! This is such a simple,  flavorful recipe, no matter what you call it!

Here is how I made it...
INGREDIENTS:
1 - 16 oz. bag of dried great northern beans - soaked in water overnight
3 carrots - chopped
1 medium sized onion chopped
2 stalks celery with their leaves - chopped
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. liquid smoke
1 1/2 lbs. smoked ham steak (low sodium) - remove bone and dice ham
2 cans vegetable broth
 
DIRECTIONS:
Place the beans in a large bowl and fill with water. Let soak overnight. Then drain water.
Put the soaked beans in a slowcooker with all the other ingredients.
Cover and cook on high for 5 hours.
Stir and serve warm.
Serves 4 - 6
 
How easy is that! I served mine with the pretzel rolls that I posted recently!
 It was all good!

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, I love a good hearty soup/stew/stoup! And love that there's liquid smoke in it! Just wanted to let you know that I nominated your for the Liebster Award this week! If you want to head over to my blog you can check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Summer! Thank you so much! I love liquid smoke...I use it often! And thank you for nominating me! I will definitely be checking that out! =D

      Delete
  2. It's in the crockpot now! Hope it's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meagan! I hope you love it as much as I do! Please let me know! Thanks! =D

      Delete

Your kind comments are always welcome, so please leave one...Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...