Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tamale Pie

Tamale Pie

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Mexican food! I've posted many Mexican recipes that I've tried in the past 5 years on this blog. I'm always willing to try one more so when I spotted this next recipe I quickly put it on my list! I love tamales but finding the corn husks is not an easy task! This version skips putting the masa mixture into the husks and uses corn meal as a pie base instead! It's not an authentic tamale but it's a great substitute! This pie was delicious and filling. It even tastes great the next day! I just popped the leftovers into the microwave to reheat.

Tamale Pie

I found the recipe on a food blog called Webicurean...lots of yummy recipes over there!
I tweaked it slightly by adding more cheese, onion, garlic and salt. Plus I added ground cumin and omitted the black olives. I think next time I'll bake the pie in a larger pan than stated because it was overflowing in the 2 quart casserole dish and I couldn't fit the entire meat mixture into the pie. I didn't mind because I ate what couldn't fit in the pan, while this pie was baking! I'm writing the recipe the way I made it, but posting the bigger size casserole dish in the directions.


Tamale Pie
Tamale Pie

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups fine yellow corn meal
4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
1 can (4oz.) mild diced green chilies
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbls. flour
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 can (14oz.) diced tomatoes
1 can (8oz.) tomato sauce
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
sour cream and fresh cilantro, optional toppings

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease a 13"x 9" casserole dish.
Bring 3 1/2 cups of water to a boil with 2 tsp kosher salt.
Turn heat down to low and add in corn meal whisking constantly until all the water is absorbed and corn meal thickens. Remove from heat and add in the diced green chilies. Spread the cooked corn meal mixture evenly into the prepared casserole dish.
In a large skillet cook the ground beef with the onions, garlic, 2 tsp salt, chili powder and cumin breaking up the beef into small pieces. Cook while stirring until beef is no longer pink. Then add in the flour and stir to combine. Next stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and corn. Remove from heat and pour meat mixture on top of the corn meal mixture in the casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes then sprinkle evenly the cheddar cheese and bake for
another 10 minutes or until the cheese has browned.
Remove from oven and let cool for about 20 minutes, to let it firm up, before cutting and serving.
If desired serve with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro.

This post belongs to My Recipe Journey food blog.

 

7 comments:

  1. My family would love this too. Great ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter! Thank you...I hope you'll try it and let me know! =D

      Delete
  2. I love Anna at Webicurean!! This is so good looking. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the webicurean! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh *blush* you guys! I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe--my mom used to make this all the time .... Next time, though, I'm going to make your version--using the 13x9 pan was a smart move, and adding cumin, brilliant ... now why didn't I think of those things?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! I've been making this once a week! Thanks again for sharing this yummy, easy recipe! (((HUGS))) =D

      Delete

Your kind comments are always welcome, so please leave one...Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...